Pageant of the Seas and Il Mappa Valletta, Malta
Sunday AUGUST 16th 2020
We built 'Il Mappa' by interviewing and recording local people and listening to what they told us about their city - Valletta. A fascinating story emerged about a real tension between tradition, culture and contemporary globalisation and economic forces. These recordings were combined with a music composition by Andrew Alamango and then visually animated by Charlie Cauchi - two brilliant Maltese artists. Visual animations were projected onto the sails of sixty boats moving in the Grand Harbour. Bulgarian artist Petko Tanchev designed the lights. The overall visual effect with the integration of voices, sounds and images of Valletta aimed to reflect back to Valletta its own story through the elements of the sea, it's winds and the sails.
A huge thanks to the whole team at Valletta Cultural Agency without whom such an enormous project would have been unthinkable. Thanks too to Mad About Video. In these times of Covid19 a live audience was not possible yet by working closely with Television Malta the event was brought to a huge audience by TV director Ruben Cassar and team.
The live broadcasting can be seen here, and since this was a big event with many diverse initiatives, note that the show starts @ 2hours:52 minutes into the video... or 46 minutes from end.
- Artistic direction: Chris Baldwin
- Soundscape direction: Andrew Alamango
- Visual concept and direction: Charlie Cauchi
- Light design and visual coordination: Petko Tanchev
- Music production: Andrew Alamango, Andrej Vujicic
- Mixing and mastering: Andrej Vujicic, Pablo Prada
- Motion graphic design: Andres Algeciras
- Production: Valletta Cultural Agency
With the participation of:
Residents: Joseph and Michael Frendo, Pierre Darmanin, Alan Xerri, Lina & Corrado Rossitto, Joe Zammit, Robert Cassar & Karmenu Vassallo, Mario Bezzina, Paul Curmi and Christopher Caruana, Carnival Dance Company, Joe Bellizzi, Joe Camilleri ‘Il-Bibi’, Joe Debono, Elenya Mizzi, Genesi Cassar, Jenneyzia Degabriele Abela, Zvendrick Tonna from St Dominic MUSEUM and Anthony Polidano.
- Malta Rowing Association
- Senglea Regatta Club - Jasleen Sevasta; Shernise Collins; Layton Zammit
- Marsa Regatta Club - Nicole Camilleri; Sairita Cassar; Caydel Mifsud
- Bormla Regatta Club - Shazel Grima; Nadine Vella; Ishmael Frendo
- Kalkara Regatta Club - Sabrina Fenech; Francesca Gatt; Denzil Mifsud
- Birżebbuġa Regatta Club - Rebecca Fitz; Susan Zammit; Hayden Azzopardi
- Birgu Regatta Club - Glynnis Mizzi; Rachelle Gialanzè
- Tellieqa Telliqun: David Cristina, Stephen Dalli, Terence Delia; Amber Azzopardi, Luca Zahra; Kenneth Laferla, Ryan Bezzina; Sephora Sammut, Ryan Farrugia; Steven Bezzina, Chris Spagnol; Andy Cassar; Jerone Micallef; Jude Sciberras, Daniel Debono; Johann Tabone, Kevin Grech, Jacob Azzopardi, Aaron Azzopardi;
With thanks to Marcia Grima, Rachael Scicluna, Michael Deguara, Christian Mifsud, Caldon Mercieca, Heritage Malta, Armed Forces of Malta, Civil Protection Department, Malta Police Force, Transport Malta, Health Department, Cleansing Directorate and many others.